Rick Yamamoto, an elder at Mosaic and strategist with the Mosaic Alliance, put together a chart comparing traditional churches and more missional churches. I found it interesting and insightful. What do you think?
Traditional Churches (Believing comes before Belonging)
1. Mission is flexible. Mission is ONE of the reasons the church exists.
2. Boundaries are fixed. Clear line between insiders and outsiders.
3. Love becomes exclusive. Love is the context for SOME mission.
Missional Churches (Belonging comes before Believing)
1. Mission is fixed. Mission is why the church exists.
2. Boundaries are flexible. Line between insiders and outsiders is blurred.
3. Love becomes inclusive. Love is the context for ALL mission.